Monday 28 July 2014

Natural Cold Remedies For Babies

We are in the rainy season and the weather has been really cold for some days now. Lets take sometime to take care of our little once probably this period. Try not to expose them much in this cold weather. 


 Over the counter (OTC) cold and cough medicines should not be given to children under 6, and especially not to babies. In certain Countries doctors are advised to always recommend more natural remedies for babies when they contact a cold. OTC medicines have been shown to have dangerous side effects in babies, and even if this doesn't happen, the medicines won't help your baby get over a cold sooner. You should always think carefully before you dose a young child or baby with OTC cold medicine. I personally don't give my son any cold or cough syrup.

 Here are some natural cold remedies you can try for your baby's when they come down with a cold:

For a runny nose
Some saline drops and a bulb syringe can help when your baby's nose is runny or clogged with mucous. Use a dropper to put a few saline drops into one nostril, and then use the rubber bulb syringe to suck the mucous out. Repeat on the other nostril. This is usually uncomfortable for the baby. It is usually struggle with my son to achieve my goal with this method, but this other style works a lot better for us, I burn some eucalyptus oil in a burner.

Method: Put some water in the burner, add a few drops of the essential oil and light the candle in the burner. The fragrance from the oil helps clear his airways and enables him breath a lot better.

Below is a picture of my burner and the eucalyptus oil I use
silver bird eucalyptus oil

burner and candles
 Note: If you have difficulties finding a burner, you can apply a few drops of this essential oil around your room when your baby is asleep. Please take extra care when using it for a baby under 3months.

For Cough:

I give my son Natural Raw Honey as soon as I notice he is coming down with a cough. I give him 1tsp of honey. Please note that it is not safe to give a baby below 1year honey.  The concern is with infant botulism. (read about here:

These are tried and tested methods that works for my baby and I usually notice an instant effect. I also recomend these for adults.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Ejiro. Will definitely try it for my children

    ReplyDelete
  2. If not for anytin, at least it will fragrance my home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pls I need that burner, can you hlp get it? I will arrange pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another thing Ejiro, with our weather in Nigeria is it better to sleep with AC, Fan or with the windows open? I am really @ my wit end on this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another thing Ejiro, with our weather in Nigeria is it better to sleep with AC, Fan or with the windows open? I am really @ my wit end on this

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry Folake for replying this late. Been so busy.
    I would advice you leave your windows opened for now. The weather hasn't been so good, especially for our young loved ones. You can do withouth the a.c and fan for now, mostly at night. Also try not to expose your baby always.

    As for the burner, email me so we can talk more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a 2nd thought about the burner, good thing is my son recently broke my burner and i'm getting a new one asap, so I should be able to get you one too but the problem will be how to get it across to you but on the other hand, you can go to iponri market around bode thomas in surulere, thats where I got mine. Let me know which is ok with you.

      Delete