Monday 16 June 2014

What to have when having a baby

In our introductory post, a 9ja baby blog reader requested for an idea of list of things to buy when expecting a baby, or in her own words, "baby things". Here is a list I have compiled from the things I needed myself, when I was having Efosa. I hope it guides you:



1. Baby bed and beddings
2. Baby bath
3. Baby carrier  (optional)
4. Baby bag
5. Baby Wipes
6. Towels for baby
7. Socks and mittens
8. Shawl
9. Blanket
10. Combs
11. Overall/vests
12. Antiseptic e.g Dettol, Savlon.
13. Baby products- baby lotion, baby oil, baby soap, baby wash, baby powder. 
14. Mentholatum
15. Methylated Spirit
16. Cotton wool
17. Diaper rash cream/ointment
18. Sanitary Towels for mother
19.Diapers. e.g Huggies/Pampers
20. Baby caps
21. Flannels
22. Baby food warmer
23. Feeding bottles 
24. Big water flask
25. Baby rack/hanger for clothes-stainless steel
26. Pegs
27. Cotton bud
28. Soap dish/sponge
29. Baby bips
30. Baby's 1st wear
31. Baby sweater 
32. Baby sleep suit
33. Baby food
34. Sterilizing unit.

Note: Never buy too many baby clothes of the same size and age category (e.g 3-6months, 6-9months). This is because our babies grow so fast that they sometimes don't even  get to wear most of the beautiful clothes we have bought.

 For baby's skin, I advice you use olive oil or original coconut oil for the baby's 1st 6months, this is because our babies' skins are very delicate and some of the synthetic baby products have chemicals in them which do not conform with baby's skin. 

I was a victim myself. Just because I wanted my baby to smell really nice, I ended up with products that aren't meant for his skin. Good thing is I learnt fast and switched to coconut oil before i finally settled for a product that has been very good for his skin type.

A product that works for one baby might not work for another. It is always good to know your baby's skin type (dry or oily skin) before investing in products

Things for Mother to take to Hospital for Delivery

1. Nightgown
2. Toilet Roll 
3. Small bowl
4. Bathroom slippers
5. Toothbrush n toothpaste
6. Towel
7.Antiseptic
8. Bathing soap
9. Soapdish
10. Sponge
11. Hair net
12. Bra and panties
14. Wrapper
15. Free loose wear
16. Sanitary towels-Comfit or Always

7 comments: